- A research paper about "GeoSparkSim: A Microscopic Road Network Traffic Simulator in Apache Spark" is accepted to MDM 2019, Hong Kong China. The next release of GeoSpark will come with a built-in scalable traffic simulator. Please stay tuned!
- A 1.5-hour tutorial about "Geospatial Data Management in Apache Spark" was presented by Jia Yu and Mohamed Sarwat in ICDE 2019, Macau, China. Visit our tutorial website to learn how to craft your "GeoSpark" from scratch.
- GeoSpark 1.2.0 is released.
Companies are using GeoSpark¶
Please make a Pull Request to add yourself!
GeoSpark is a cluster computing system for processing large-scale spatial data. GeoSpark extends Apache Spark / SparkSQL with a set of out-of-the-box Spatial Resilient Distributed Datasets (SRDDs)/ SpatialSQL that efficiently load, process, and analyze large-scale spatial data across machines.
GeoSpark contains several modules:¶
|Core||RDD||Spark 2.X/1.X||SpatialRDDs and Query Operators.|
|SQL||SQL/DataFrame||SparkSQL 2.1+||SQL interfaces for GeoSpark core.|
|Viz||RDD, SQL/DataFrame||RDD - Spark 2.X/1.X, SQL - Spark 2.1+||Visualization for Spatial RDD and DataFrame.|
|Zeppelin||Apache Zeppelin||Spark 2.1+, Zeppelin 0.8.1+||GeoSpark plugin for Apache Zeppelin|
GeoSpark Downloads on Maven Central¶
GeoSpark ecosystem has around 8K - 10K downloads per month.
- Spatial RDD
- Spatial SQL
SELECT superhero.name FROM city, superhero WHERE ST_Contains(city.geom, superhero.geom) AND city.name = 'Gotham';
- Complex geometries / trajectories: point, polygon, linestring, multi-point, multi-polygon, multi-linestring, GeometryCollection
- Various input formats: CSV, TSV, WKT, WKB, GeoJSON, NASA NetCDF/HDF, Shapefile (.shp, .shx, .dbf): extension must be in lower case
- Spatial query: range query, range join query, distance join query, K Nearest Neighbor query
- Spatial index: R-Tree, Quad-Tree
- Spatial partitioning: KDB-Tree, Quad-Tree, R-Tree, Voronoi diagram, Hilbert curve, Uniform grids
- Coordinate Reference System / Spatial Reference System Transformation: for exmaple, from WGS84 (EPSG:4326, degree-based), to EPSG:3857 (meter-based)
- High resolution map: Scatter plot, heat map, choropleth map
GeoSpark language support¶
|Language||Supported GeoSpark modules||Tutorial|
|Scala||RDD, SQL, Viz, Zeppelin||RDD, SQL, Viz, Zeppelin|
|Java||RDD, SQL, Viz||RDD, SQL, Viz|
|SQL||SQL, Viz, Zeppelin||SQL, Viz, Zeppelin|
GeoSpark Visualization Extension (GeoSparkViz)¶
GeoSparkViz is a large-scale in-memory geospatial visualization system.
GeoSparkViz provides native support for general cartographic design by extending GeoSpark to process large-scale spatial data. It can visulize Spatial RDD and Spatial Queries and render super high resolution image in parallel.
More details are available here: Visualize Spatial DataFrame/RDD
GeoSpark development team has published many papers about GeoSpark. Please read Publications.
GeoSpark received an evaluation from PVLDB 2018 paper "How Good Are Modern Spatial Analytics Systems?" Varun Pandey, Andreas Kipf, Thomas Neumann, Alfons Kemper (Technical University of Munich), quoted as follows:
GeoSpark comes close to a complete spatial analytics system. It also exhibits the best performance in most cases.